Historical Sketch of Emmanuel Baptist
(God With Us) Baptist Church was formed in a rented house on Excelsior Street in
1914. In 1916 we were formally organized. Three ministers were instrumental in
giving Emmanuel its name - Professor J. W. Paisley, Rev. R. L. Files and Rev. Pink Joyce.
J. R. Summers was Emmanuel's first pastor. Other Pastors of Emmanuel have included
Rev. Eli W. Walker, Rev. David Clark, Rev. A. S. Slater, Rev. James Parker, Rev. E. S.
Duke, Rev. Eddie J. Gallman, Rev. J. D. Monroe, Rev. I. C. McClure, Rev. S. W. Mack, and
our present pastor, Rev. Dr. John Mendez.
was built in 1922 at 619 Smith Street. We resided in that building until 1967.
Our next location was 500 East 16th Street until the building was destroyed by fire on
March 26, 1972. We worshipped at Gilmore's Funeral Home for a short period of time and
then for 2 years at North Hill Community Center.
June 23, 1974 our first worship service was held at 1075 Shalimar Drive. Under the
pastorate of the late Rev. Dr. Sir Walker Mack, Sr., Many renovations were made to the
sanctuary and choir rooms. A new Fellowship Hall was later added. In
preparation for the day we would outgrow our current church Rev. Mack established a
building fund. On November 27, 1982, God called Rev. Mack home after 33 years as
pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church.
John Mendez assumed his duties as pastor on Sunday, December 4, 1983. Under his
administration, both the church and the budget continued to grow. In accordance with
God's will Rev. Mendez has led us to become an all-tithing church, relying on the faith
and commitment of its members to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the up building of
his kingdom. As membership increased it soon became evident that more space
Sunday, April 8, 2001 our first worship service was held in our new
multi-million dollar sanctuary. The new sanctuary accommodates 1,100 people with state-of-the-art
equipment. On that day and all days we praise God for his wondrous works and thank
him for all his blessings.