1. There should be a committee of 3-5 experienced people to review old bylaws. If you cannot find a copy of yours, call the State Office (800-255-0417) and they can send you a copy.
2. Never retype bylaws. Use the form provided by the State Bylaws Committee in the Unit Packet, at least for the required sections. Unmarked articles and sections are for your organization to express itself. Any changes may be typed and attached to the form.
3. Double starred (**) items or ones with the number (#) symbol MUST be included in the bylaws exactly as written.
4. The amount of your dues should include National dues of $1.25, State dues of $1.00 and the amount that will be retained at your school.
5. Membership is for individuals and family memberships should not be sold. If they are, each family member should receive a membership card and dues be remitted to the State for every member.
6. Quorum refers to the number of members required to conduct business. The quorum of a board is the majority. The NC PTA suggests that you use "20" as the quorum of your general membership meetings. It is easier for the president to determine the quorum before voting on business items.
7. The EIN (Employee Identification Number)is the number used on all your PTA's bank accounts and tax reports. If you can't locate yours, call the State Office at 1-800-255-0417.
8. Present your bylaws to the Executive Board for approval.
9. After Executive Board approval, the revised bylaws must be approved by the membership. Thirty (30) days notice must be given to the general membership before the vote and the changes to be approved, identified. Copies of the bylaws and changes should be made available in the school office or media center for interested members to review.
10. After the bylaws have been approved by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the full membership, send two (2) copies to the State Office for the Bylaws Committee to review them. They will correct, if necessary, approve and return one copy to you.